[T]ypography and typographers must honor the variety and complexity if human language, thought and identity, instead of homogenizing or hiding it.
Copyright © 2015, 2018 Donny Trương. All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced in any form without permission from the author.
- Advisor: Jandos Rothstein
- Copyeditors: Trang Nguyễn, Raymond Schwartz, and Chris Silverman
- Designer & Publisher: Donny Trương
- Editor: Linh Nguyễn
- Proofreader: Jim Van Meer
Please send errors to [email protected]
- Bringhurst, Robert. The Elements of Typographic Style. (Washington: Hartley & Marks Press, 2008).
- Cheng, Karen. Designing Type. (Connecticut: Yale University Press, 2005).
- Fernandes, Gonçalo, and Carlos Assunção. “First Codification of Vietnamese by 17th-Century Missionaries: the Description of Tones and the Influence of Portuguese on Vietnamese Orthography,” HEL 39 (Universidade de Trás-os-Montes e Alto Douro, 2017).
- Gaultney, J. Victor. “Problems of Diacritic Design for Latin Script Text Faces,” (MA thesis, University of Reading, 2002).
- Lương, N. Hiền “Chữ Quốc Ngữ Chữ Nuớc Ta: Từ Alexandre de Rhodes đến Trương Vĩnh Ký.” Tập San 11 (Australia: Nhóm Nghiên Cứu Văn Hóa Đồng Nai & Cửu Long, 2017).
- Nguyễn, Đình Hòa. “An Outline of Vietnamese,” The Vietnam Forum 11 (Connecticut: Yale Southeast Asia Studies, 1988).
- Thompson, Laurence. A Vietnamese Grammar. (Washington: University of Washington Press, 1965).
- Turčić, Maja, Antun Koren, Vesna Uglješić, and Ivan Rajković. “Design and Positioning of Diacritical Marks in Latin Typefaces,” Acta Graphica 185 (University of Zagreb, Croatia, 2011).
Thanks to professor Jandos Rothstein for his guidance in working with me on this final project to complete my Master of Arts in Graphic Design.
Thanks to Linh Nguyễn for her critical evaluation of the first draft. Based on her invaluable feedback, I rewrote almost everything.
Thanks to Jim Van Meer for his meticulous proofreading of the early drafts.
Thanks to Phạm Đam Ca for taking his time to explain to me the nuances of Vietnamese type design.
Thanks to David Jonathan Ross for allowing me the opportunity to work with him on extending Fern to support Vietnamese for the second edition.
Thanks to my wife, Nguyễn Đức Hải Dung, for her continuous support.
Website designed by Donny Trương. The text face is Fern, designed by David Jonathan Ross. Headers are set in Roslindale, also by David. Subheads and captions are set in Retina, designed by Tobias Frere-Jones. Quotes are set in Exchange, also by Tobias.
I welcome corrections, suggestions, and revisions to this book. You can reach me at [email protected].